Tuesday, March 17, 2009

开封ing

Back in the days, I hated hearing foreigners speaking about their experiences in China. First, it was mostly about food, and then it was meat meat meat meat (“Oh, you’re vegetarian? So why do you want to go to China?!”). Second, as almost the only one who still wasn’t there, I was envious. On top of it, I also had some auto-semi-racist fears about coming to China after it would all be tarnished by the west, exploding with foreigners running around the streets, polluting our beautiful environment with their terrible toneless Chinese (still better than mine, but does that stand for something?). While Beijing and Qingdao might have somehow confirm my fears to some small extent, then came Kaifeng and pacified me completely. We Kaifeng foreigners are few and proud, but especially few. The last couple of days were the first in China during which I saw no foreigner whatsoever. Not that I don’t want to see them, they are great, but it is still nice to know I have the possibility to detach myself completely.

Weather is great, it’s smells like spring and the city is nice. These were “twin-days” – wake up early in the morning (here in the country, it’s so lovely. Bed at 23, wake at 7); stay in bed in front of the computer and TV; eat lunch; go to my friends’ house to work on translating stuff; go out – one time dancing with her parents (her dad took my hands and tried to teach me), and yesterday to the Kaifeng night market, located in a cool bustling downtown, just several minutes walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment